UPDATE: Highway 10 in Elk River begins switch to temporary, narrow lanes April 9
Highway 10 will be reduced to three lanes; oversized loads prohibited
ST CLOUD, Minn. – Motorists on Highway 10 in west Elk River will encounter a new traffic configuration after crews close the existing westbound Highway 10 lanes near Lake Orono, and switch both directions of Highway 10 to narrow, temporary lanes on the eastbound side of the road, beginning April 9.
The traffic changes mark the start of the second and final year of construction on the Highway 10 Lake Orono bridge replacement project.
“With lanes narrowing to 10 feet wide across the exiting bridges, motorists will find the lanes are narrower than they were during last year’s construction,” said Tim Paul, Highway 10 Construction Project Manager. “We’re recommending that motorists avoid lane changes while navigating the work zone, and be aware that oversized loads are prohibited.”
Highway 10 motorists should plan for the following traffic changes on Highway 10 between Joplin St NW and Upland Ave. All dates are tentative.
- April 9 to April 11
- Both directions of Highway 10 will be reduced to a single lane 24 hours per day while crews prepare to switch traffic to the temporary lanes.
- April 11 to mid-October
- Both directions of Highway 10 will be switched to narrow, temporary lanes with a 45 mph posted speed limit.
- Eastbound Highway 10 will be reduced to a single lane 24 hours per day.
- Westbound Highway 10 will remain two lanes with intermittent lane closures occurring as needed.
- Simonet Drive NW will become right-in, right-out only.
- Gary Street will become right-in, right-out only.
- Motorists should plan for rush hour delays on both directions of Highway 10 near Lake Orono.
- Mid-October to mid-November
- Both directions of Highway 10 will be intermittently reduced to a single lane while crews wrap up the project.
When complete in fall 2018, the project will replace the existing 75-year-old Highway 10 bridges spanning Lake Orono with new, modern bridges; resurface Highway 10 between Joplin Street NW and Xenia Ave NW; improve the Highway 10/Joplin Street/185th Avenue intersection; construct a new trail with river crossing between Gary Street NW and Simonet Drive NW; install new drainage infrastructure and make other improvements.
For more project information, to view and print project maps, or sign up to have project email updates sent directly to your inbox, visit the Highway 10 Lake Orono Bridge website at www.mndot.gov/d3/h10orono.
To sign up the Highway 10 Elk River project email updates or get more project information, visit the project’s website. For updates on Twitter, follow @MnDOTCentral. To get important updates including advance notice of future traffic changes sent directly to your inbox, subscribe to the Highway 10 Elk River
For real-time travel information anywhere in Minnesota, check www.511mn.org.
# # #