About this project
Deterioration under the NB and SB Hwy 169 bridge decks over Elm Creek (the Mill Pond) had required MnDOT to place weight limits on both bridges from April 16 to Dec. 3, 2015. Following an emergency repair project to shore up the bridge decks, restrictions were removed, although the shoulders of the bridge remain closed.
The city of Champlin, along with MnDOT, worked on a project to replace the two bridges and make other improvements on Hwy 169 between East Hayden Lake Rd. and the Mississippi river beginning in the fall of 2017.
MnDOT had also secured funding for additional repairs, resurfacing and safety improvements on Hwy 169 between East Hayden Lake Rd. and Hwy 610. Working on both projects simultaneously lessened the length of time residents, businesses and commuters would be inconvenienced.
Summary of work
Fall 2017 through Fall 2018
- Construction between East Hayden Lake Rd. and the Mississippi river
- Resurfacing on Hwy 169 between Hwy 610 and East Hayden Lake Rd.
Hwy 169 between East Hayden Lake Rd (Co Rd. 121) and the Mississippi River
- Replace the current Elm Creek bridges with new bridges to carry NB and SB Hwy 169 traffic over Elm Creek
- Realign Hwy 169 between the Mississippi river and East Hayden Lake Rd. to straighten curves
- Construct a pedestrian/bicycle underpass beneath Hwy 169 at West River Rd. This structure aligns with the city of Champlin’s goal of a “walkable, bike-able city.”
- Realign West River Rd. and Dean Ave. at Hwy 169. Build local access connections to West River Rd. from Dean Rd. Add a new signal system to control traffic at the new intersection.
- Remove access from Dowlin St. to Hwy 169. Right turns from southbound Hwy 169 to Dowlin St. will be allowed.
- Replace the existing signal systems at the intersection of Dayton Rd/Miller Rd. at Hwy 169
Hwy 169 between Hwy 610 and East Hayden Lake Rd.
A resurfacing project will begin in the fall of 2017. The project includes:
- Concrete pavement resurfacing and repairs
- ADA upgrades at intersections. Improvements include new crosswalks, pedestrian access and audible pedestrian signals
- Extend all NB Hwy 169 to WB turn lanes from 230 feet to 500 feet at the following intersections
- 109th Ave.
- 120th Ave.
- East Hayden Lake Rd
- Build an acceleration lane on SB Hwy 169 south from 120th Ave.
- Replace guardrail at pedestrian bridge between 101St. and 109th Avenues