St. Croix Crossing final work and mitigation
Although the Hwy 36 St. Croix river crossing opened to traffic on Wed, Aug. 2, 2017, additional work remains to complete the project.
Coming soon: “The Saga of the Stillwater Lift Bridge: A Preservation Case Study” An illustrated book tracing the history of the Stillwater Lift Bridge in narrative, illustrations and photographs. The narrative will include the complete story of the Stillwater Lift Bridge and its relationship to the community and the cultural landscape.
- Final cleanup and landscaping
- Rehabilitation and conversion of Stillwater Lift bridge to bicycle/pedestrian traffic and to serve boat traffic
- Completion of Loop Trail pipe railing and trail closed down the Houlton hill all winter.
Details about upcoming project closures will be posted when available.
Construction on related projects
Stillwater Lift Bridge Project
Aug. 2017 to June 2019
With the new St. Croix Crossing bridge opened to traffic, the historic Stillwater Lift Bridge conversion project has begun. The Lift Bridge is now closed to ALL traffic.
The Lift bridge, spanning the St. Croix River, will be converted to a bicycle/pedestrian crossing and will also become part of a five-mile “loop trail” system connecting the new river bridge with the historic bridge. The Lift Bridge will continue to operate to allow boat navigation beneath.
Wisconsin Hwy 64, Houlton, Wis.
Wisconsin Hwy 64 Loop Trail in Wisconsin: Construction of Loop Trail in Wisconsin (part of St. Croix Crossing’s Loop Trail project) and landscaping. Includes construction of two trailhead parking lots, a restroom and a picnic shelter with tables and benches.
St. Croix Crossing Project Dedication Ceremony
A celebration for the completion of the St. Croix Crossing Bridge project was held Aug. 2, 2017. Thanks to all who were able to join us in-person for this celebration. We are deeply grateful to all who helped achieve this monumental project.
Stillwater Lift Bridge grand opening celebration
Planning is underway for a special ceremony to celebrate the transformation of the Stillwater Lift Bridge to a bicycle/pedestrian crossing. Work is expected to be complete by mid-June 2019.
- Oct. 15 is the end of formal boat navigation season. Coast Guard regulates lift schedule.
- No wake zone lifted from St. Croix River at St. Croix Crossing (Sept. 28, 2017)
- Frequently Asked Questions: St. Croix Crossing (Aug. 21, 2017)
- St. Croix Crossing no-wake zone extended for safety purposes (Aug. 17, 2017)
- What's Next: St. Croix Crossing (Aug. 7, 2017)
- Minnesota, Wisconsin to open new St. Croix Crossing project to traffic at 8 p.m. Aug. 2 (Aug. 2, 2017)
- St. Croix Crossing opens after decades of debate, development (Aug. 2, 2017)
- St. Croix River Crossing ribbon cutting ceremony set for Wednesday, Aug. 2 (June 15, 2017)
- Final construction season begins at St. Croix Crossing (May 30, 2017)
- Lane closures on Highway 95 at Highway 36 (Mar. 29, 2017)
- Final closure pour complete (Feb. 10, 2017)
- Bridge construction progress maps
Video series: Building the St. Croix Crossing
Want a closer look at St. Croix Crossing construction? Check out our video series to discover more about the major stages of bridge construction, from laying the bridge foundations below the water to making the finishing touches on the bridge.
- In the first video, learn how crews constructed the bridge foundation below the water.
- In the second video, find out how the bridge piers and crossbeams were constructed
- In the third video, see how crews assembled the bridge deck.
- The fourth video will give you a glimpse of how the pier towers and stay cables were erected.
- The fifth video (below) takes a look at the finishing touches on the bridge, including chip sealing and painting
Visit our YouTube channel to view the entire video series!