Minnesota Department of Transportation

511 Travel Info

Temporary outdoor dining

Temporary Outdoor Dining Permit

Minnesota cities and townships can apply to use part of the state highway right of way to serve food and beverages. 

Restaurants must contact their local municipality for permits.

How municipalities can apply

Learn about the municipality requirements

Complete the paperwork

Submit the paperwork

Review, approve, and maintain order

  • If approved, the municipality will receive a Temporary Outdoor Dining Permit.
  • Approved municipalities can issue permits to businesses.
  • Municipalities must ensure businesses follow federal, state, and local regulations.